Monday, September 9, 2013

If You Really Wanted to Piss me Off, Look no Further

If you know me well, you'd know that there are hundreds of things, minor and major, that really get under my skin and that I rant about constantly. Obviously, I can't list all of them here for fear that you'd have to read War and Peace meets Gone with the Wind.

Personal Bothers
1. How expensive everything is, particularly in Darien. I'm sorry but I don't really need strawberries that are $6.99. I could buy 25 Munchkins with that plus an iced coffee.
2. Lack of sidewalks around Darien. I like walking, it makes me feel like I'm living in a city again, but alas, there aren't any sidewalks within a mile radius of my house (as is the case with lots of people in Darien) which makes it difficult for me to walk without almost dying once.
3. Movies nowadays. I remember when movies used to be good and wonderful, but now they're too expensive, and frankly, they suck.
4. How unhealthy food is- sugar, corn starch, and dozens of chemicals I can't even pronounce. Health rule no. 1- Never eat anything your great-great grandmother couldn't recognize (with the exception of Nutella)
5. How alcohol companies, specifically vodka companies, are making flavors targeted at teens and kids. If I wanted something marshmallow flavored, I'd have a s'more, not a vodka shot.
6. How tobacco companies are targeting electronic cigarettes at kids with fun flavors like chocolate, cherry, and lung cancer.

School Bothers
1. The fact that school starts so early- I love sleep, but for 75% of the year, I don't get to enjoy it.
2. The amount of homework we receive. I don't mind doing homework, but when its 2-3 hours per subject, I start to consider dropping out of school and becoming a hobo. If we had 30-45 minutes of homework per class per day, I might be able to actually enjoy my teenage years which are supposed to be "the best years of my life."
3. Too much wasted paper. Can't we at least recycle?
4. Scheduling conflicts. They restrict me from taking classes I actually want to take and instead put in me useless classes that I'd never go near normally.
5. How foreign languages are taught (with the exception of CGS). When I go to France, I won't be able to hold an actual conversation, but I will be able to conjugate 100 verbs in 10 different tenses.
6. Lack of good science and math teachers in the U.S.
7. How we have a school musical but not a play. I'm very interested in theatre and acting, but I can't do it because my voice sounds like nails on a chalkboard and I don't want to be doo-wopping or swaying in the background.

General, worldly things that really piss me off
1. The modelling industry. Seriously, no one looks like a Victoria's Secret Model, except the Angels themselves. How come they're the basis for clothes made for the majority of people when they make up .001% of the population. Why not use actual, normal-sized people, I mean, they ARE the people who'll be buying the clothes.
2. Rape, birth control, and abortion legislation. How come women officials aren't making any of these decisions? I never knew that 60 and 70 year-old men has uteruses and had to deal with rape culture. It's my body, I'll do what I want to it.
3. The war against Muslims because they're all "terrorists."
4. Saving to "save" Muslim women from wearing burkas and hijabs because its "confining" them.
5. Outsourcing jobs. Even though bringing manufacturing jobs to the U.S. would increase prices, but more people would have jobs.
6. Child labor (and sweat shops) particularly in China, where its basically slavery.
7. Apple and how expensive their products are and the fact that they're made by slaves for 10 cents, yet I have to pay $200 for an iPod that cost less than a dollar to make.
8. Cell phone contracts.
9. Contracts in general.
10. America's War on Women- All MEN are created equal. Maybe, but women? God no!
11. Rape Culture.
12. Blurred Lines by Robin Thicke.
13. The fact that gay marriage isn't legal in all 50 states yet.
14. How radio stations play the same 15 songs over and over again.
15. Lack of classical music on the radio. I'd love to listen to Tchaikovsky or Chopin or Waldteufel, but instead I get Nicki Minaj and Taylor Swift.
16. The switch from paper books to electronic ones. I pledge to read the printed word for life.
17. Misrepresentation of women in the media, particularly in magazines and advertisements.



No comments:

Post a Comment