Wednesday, September 11, 2013

To Be Cute, or to Have Money

Sentence Imitation

From Jamaica Kincaid's, A Small Place “And so you can imagine how I felt when, one day, in Antigua, standing on Market Street, looking up one way and down the other, I asked myself: Is the Antigua I see before me, self-rules, a worse place than what it was when it was dominated by the bad-minded English and all the bad-minded things they brought with them? How did Antigua get to such a state that I would have to ask myself this? For the answer on every Antiguan’s lips to the question “What is going on here now?” is “The government is corrupt. Them are thief, them are big thief.” Imagine, then, the bitterness and the shame in me as I tell you this.” (Kincaid 41)


And so you can imagine how I felt when, one day, at the Oyster Festival, standing by the dress racks, looking from one cute dress to another, I asked myself: Do I really need to spend, money, MY hard-earned money, on a $60 dress that I’ll probably never wear? How did I even decide that I wanted it? Is it because Caroline told me it’d look so cute on me? For the answer on my lips was, “Of course it is! Why else would I buy such a dress? All I wanna do is look cute.”  Imagine, then, my despair between wanting to look super cute and wanting to have money.

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your humor in this blog. I could definitely hear your voice and I understand your dilemma. I am always conflicted between spending or saving money. Although I'm not quite sure this covers any of the argument subtopics (inform, explore, convince, make a decision, meditate or pray). But I did think you did a good job rewording the quote and sticking with the original grammar, something I had a hard time with. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your repsonse it was so witty and humorous! I can actually picture you saying this to me actually. I love how you sort of question yourself on what you want to do, when I feel persuaded to buy the dress for you so you can have money and look super cute. Great job on followign the books structure!

    ReplyDelete